Our daily lives move on. Once we get into a routine, inertia takes over and it seems we get into the same thing, over and over. For the lucky few that have formed good habits, a routine produces positive results since they are being performed day after day. But for the vast majority of us, this just isn’t the case. Once we got trapped into a routine with negative habits, we get further and further away from our goals. Each day, we do the same things and slip deeper into being average. This is the comfort zone and it traps even the best of us throughout our lives.
The comfort zone is that place where most of us live our lives. Never really changing much or challenging ourselves. This is a trap and we should work hard to escape it. we can’t grow from within a comfort zone.
Examples of living in our comfort zone
Here are some examples of living in a comfort zone:
- Waking up early to exercise or meditate – I just want to sleep more
- Skipping the gym after work – because we are too tired and just want to rest
- Eating that sweet instead of holding back when you working to lose weight – but chocolate is soooooo good….
- Taking taxis instead of jeepneys or walking – its too hot to walk right?
- Eating outside instead of bringing your lunch to work – it’s a lot more fun to eat out
- Buying expensive gadgets on credit rather than waiting and paying in cash – using credit because you haven’t saved enough to buy the device outright
- Waiting until the “perfect time” to start your own business – afraid to just do it
- Living month to month instead of saving money – spending everything you get each month with no thought for tomorrow
How to escape your own comfort zone
Take a moment and look at the picture above. Notice how small the “comfort zone” area is compared to where the magic happens. That’s because there are so many opportunities available to us in life and most of these are outside the area we are currently comfortable with. We have to be willing to get outside of that area and grow. But how do we do that?
The first thing is find your ‘why’. Why do you want to achieve that goal? Once you have a powerful reason to do it, decide its time to get uncomfortable. Growth will only come when we are uncomfortable. And being uncomfortable, by its very nature, isn’t fun. Get out there and just do it. You already know what you need to be doing so just do it. Want to lose weight? Go go the gym. Find ways to make it happen. Find ways to block your self sabotaging behavior. For example, if you wanted to quit smoking, maybe you agree to pay 100 pesos to a friend every time you smoke a cigarette. What about saving money? Every time you eat out instead of taking your food to work, you have to match the price of the meal in a gift to a friend. It becomes double expensive and maybe this will make you think twice before doing it.
This guy hired someone to slap him every time he surfed social media sites instead of working. Now that is a commitment. That is certainly WAY outside of a normal comfort zone.
What is your own comfort zone? How is it limiting you in your daily life? How can you grow and improve things for yourself?